ProLon® is a 5-day dietary program that nourishes your body while promoting regenerative and rejuvenating changes, including effects on a wide range of markers that contribute to aging, such as cholesterol, inflammation, and fasting glucose.
ProLon® mitigates the burden and danger of water-only fasting, while responding to the unmet need of having a readily consumable, proven and safe dietary program that does not require ongoing lifestyle changes, such as long-term dieting.
ProLon® market research and consumer panels demonstrated:
- Very good taste
- Convenient and easy day-by-day packaging
- Minimal disruption to daily lifestyle
ProLon® meals come in 5 small boxes (one for each day) that include plant-based energy bars, soups, a variety of snacks, drinks, and supplements, all studied and carefully designed to nourish your body and promote positive changes in metabolic markers, cellular rejuvenation, reduced inflammation, and healthy ageing.
ProLon® ingredients are plant-based and do not contain any additives, preservatives* or chemicals. The daily caloric intake with ProLon® is between 770 and 1100 calories from healthy ingredients that maximize nourishment and provide a pleasant eating experience.
*ProLon® energy drink contains the natural preservative polylysine.
Mechanism of Action
ProLon® provides the body with healthy, plant-based ingredients that have been scientifically demonstrated to provide the body with optimal nourishment while not activating the key pro-aging pathways including the growth hormone and insulin and Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1) pathways activated by normal diets. These hormones signal to the body that it has consumed significant levels of carbohydrates and proteins and can activate genes that accelerate the growth pathways, which also speed aging and block regeneration/rejuvenation.
ProLon® is the first Fasting Mimicking and Enhancing™ Diet that provides you with a combination of foods and ingredients able to reprogram the body into a regenerating and rejuvenating mode, resulting in long-term reduction of IGF-1, glucose and markers of inflammation and aging, but only in subjects with high levels of these markers.
15 years of extensive preclinical and clinical studies sponsored by the National Institute of Health (NIH) and conducted at the Longevity Institute and Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute of the University of Southern California (USC) resulted in the development of the first FMED™ (ProLon®) which stimulates:
- Cellular entry into a high protection and stress resistant mode
- Removal of damaged cells and tissues
- Self-repair through cellular regeneration and rejuvenation
In the latest clinical trial conducted at USC’s Longevity Institute and Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute, 3 cycles of ProLon®, 5 days per month over a 3 month period suggested the following significant effects at 1 week after the last cycle.
1. Subjects were randomized to either ProLon® or their normal diet. Subjects consumed ProLon® for five consecutive days every month for three months and returned to normal diet in-between. Control subjects continued their normal diet. Measurements were performed prior to the diet (A), immediately after the first ProLon® cycle and during the recovery period after the 3rd. cycle. (B)
Percentage of lin-CD184+CD45 mesenchymal stem/progenitor cells (MSPC) in the peripheral blood mono-nucleated cell population (N= 16). N= 19 except where stated differently.
C-reactive protein levels of all subjects (panel A) and subjects in the average or high risk group for heart disease (N= 8;) (panel B).
All data are expressed as the mean ± SEM. Statistical analysis was performed using the Wilcoxon signed-rank test with *p<0.05; **p<0.001; •••p<0.001.
Subjects also reported
- Improved energy levels
- Softer, healthier looking skin
- Positive lifestyle impact
- Ability to make healthier choices
- Control food consumption
- Children under the age of 18
- Women who are pregnant or nursing
- Individuals who are allergic to nuts or soy
- Individuals with a Body Mass Index (BMI) <18
- Individuals diagnosed with a serious medical condition or disease, unless approved in writing by a physician appropriately trained to treat that condition or disease
- Individuals who have been severely weakened by a disease or medical procedure
- Individuals who are taking medications which may not be safely consumed with a calorie restricted diet unless authorised in writing by a licensed physician
- Individuals with diabetes (type 1 and type 2), cardiovascular disease and cancer, unless approved in writing by a licensed physician. ProLon® should never be combined with glucose lowering drugs, such as metformin or insulin.
- Fasting is prohibited for individuals with particular metabolic diseases, such as those affecting gluconeogenesis.
- Individuals with a history of significant cardiac disease, particularly uncompensated congestive heart failure NYHA grade 2 or more or LVEF <40% on any prior assessment
- Individuals with a history of syncope (fainting) with calorie restriction or other medical comorbidities
- Individuals who have special dietary needs that are incompatible with the ProLon® meal plan
- Individuals with liver or kidney disorders that may be affected by the very low glucose and protein content of the diet
How Often Should Patients Take The 5-Day ProLon® Diet?
Depending on your patient’s body weight, baseline markers and health measurements, and after your evaluation and recommendation:
- High risk individuals may take ProLon® 3–12 times a year depending on their condition.
- Low risk or healthy individuals may take ProLon® 2–3 times a year.
Brandhorst S, Choi IY, Wei M et al. A periodic diet that mimics fasting, promotes multi-system regeneration, enhanced cognitive performance, and health-span. Cell Metab. 2015, 221-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2015.05.012